Top 10 Best Commuter Bikes Under £500 (August 2020)
Ditch the car, save money and get fit. There are plenty of reasons to buy a bike. Choosing the best commuter bike under £500 is the aim of the game. With flat handlebars, a good spread of gears and slightly chunkier tyres than you’ll find on a road bike. They’re versatile enough to both commute through the city during the week, and escape it at weekends.
Why Choose The Best Commuting Bike Under £500
The commuter bicycle is ideal for commuting over both small and lengthy distances. With an extra upright mountain bike feel, it presents a relaxed ride that will not leave you sore after you get off.
If you are thinking to go for an enjoyable hobby, a contemptible commuting mode, or an exciting sport the best option would be cycling. Before purchasing a bike, purchasers should spend more time learning about different types of bikes accessible and the features they offer. Additionally, it’s important to discover a bike that fits the rider, to supply long-term bicycling enjoyment. By utilising the tips provided to discover and buy bicycles online, cyclists will be capable of finding the right bike to meet their cycling necessitates at the reasonable price of £500.
A Comfortable Bike For Commuting
For many riders, comfort is a requirement. Comfort in a bicycle almost always comes at the cost of performance. A more laid back riding position gives you less mechanical advantage. Many people get caught up in gimmicky features like a heavily padded seat, swept back handlebars and shock absorbers. In our opinion, one of the key contributors to rider comfort is frame geometry. Commuter bikes are designed to keep the rider comfortable for long periods of time. You’re more upright than you would be on a road bike. Yet the bike glides over the road far better than a mountain bike would.
Similar To A Commuter Bike
Some would say commuters are more like hybrid bikes and in a way they are. Because their emphasis is on an enjoyable ride rather than performance, comfortable commuter bikes tend to be the least expensive of the bunch. There’s little point in putting fancy componentry on a bike that won’t realise any performance advantage from them. Instead you find additional features on them, like kick stands, storage racks and disc brakes. The best commuter bikes are designed to get you where you need to go without breaking a sweat.
Ape Rider 20" Folding Bike
- ✔ 7 Speed Shimano Gearing System
- ✔ Mulit Terrain Cycling Tyres
- ✔ Chrome Kickstand
- ✔ Lots Of Great Colours To Choose From
Never worry that your bike will be stolen again! Just fold it up and bring it indoors with you, the Schwinn Loop folds into a neat little package for simple storage and transport.
When you’re ready to ride just fold it out, load your stuff and go. When you get to work or home, fold it up and bring it in with you. You can even bring it on a train or bus for the ultimate in all weather bike commuting convenience!
- Folding bike 20 inch, Shimano 7 speed gears.Multi-terrain cycling tires and V-style brakes
- Alloy adjustable seat, you can adjust the height of kickstand as you need. Speed cycle for adults and teenagers with folding pedals
- Adult bicycle that folds up small for easy storage. Riders between 150-180 cm tall, can ride comfortably.
- Classic folding bike design extended steel frame and wheels with forward peddling design ! All cycles are 90%, it will require more assembly on pedals, stem bars, and front wheel. Adjusting front, rear brakes, and gears, as well as a general check over of all fixings on pre assembled parts. We strongly suggest that customers take the bike to a local bike shop for assistance, and is likely to incur extra cost to the purchaser.
Some of the previous customer’s statements are very positive however there are a few negative ones. We’ve covered the key ones below.
“Bike is well made and with all the standard features such as V-brakes, gears so its easy to service and maintain.”
“There is quick release on the seat post and both wheels which makes it easy to deconstruct.”
“I just love this bike and it looks great.”
“The colour of the bike was great.”
“The bike needs assembling.”
“Perfect for short trips to the city.”
Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Road Bike
- ✔ Fixed gear or single speed
- ✔ Urban geometry 700c tig-welded Frame and Fork
- ✔ Double Walled Deep-V Anodized Wheel set
- ✔ Platform Pedals Included
The Vilano Rampage road bike fixed gear road bike is very well designed bike.
This bike is eye catching to say the least. The Vilano Rampage’s frame is jet black as is every component of this bike. The frame comes in at 12.5kg (large version is 15kg) and is designed to eat up the miles. As stated earlier the whole bike is coloured black and looks great. The handle bars aren’t as curved and ergonomic as some of the others available however they are just as comfortable and easy to use. The wheels on this bike are impressive, presented in black and seem strong and durable. The Vilano Rampage Black comes with urban platform pedals as standard. The saddle is perhaps a little on the hard side however remains comfortable and easily adjusted for rider preference. The Vilano Rampage road bike comes with a rear flip-flop hub containing a freewheel and cog, allowing the rider to quickly change from a single speed to a fixed gear by flipping the rear wheel. This is well reviewed and we agree is a very nice feature of the bike.
The brakes do need a little adjustment initially however perform well once corrected. The pads are quite tough and plastic like however can be easily upgraded if you’re unhappy with them. For the price the brakes are more than sufficient and respond well when engaged.
The tyres are brilliant on this model. If regularly kept at a steady pressure they’ll last a long time. Some choose to upgrade things like tyres and brakes immediately however with the tyres provided with the Vilano Rampage road bike this is not necessary.
The bike rides really smoothly and although the seat is a little on the hard side, the experience of riding this bike on the whole is positive.
Hugely recommended bike to anyone looking for a low maintenance, high quality bike. The price for a brand new bike like this is impressively low and therefore offers huge value for money. The bike comes with somewhat budget components which is perfectly understandable for the cost of the bike. These can be upgraded if and when you choose, offering the rider with the ability to enjoy the bike immediately and improve their experience over time with component by component upgrades. This bike is very good and we hugely recommend you consider the Vilano Rampage road bike when looking for your next road bike.
Cicli Cinzia Firenze Folding Bike
- ✔ Frame Hi-Tension Folding Steel Frame
- ✔ Folding Dimensions: (L x W x H): 80 cm x 40 cm x 70 cm.
- ✔ Front And Rear Mudguards
- ✔ Unique Italian Design
The Cicli Cinzia Firenze Folding Bike is a very eye catching folding bike. At first sight it doesn’t look like it is a folding bike at all, the wheels are larger than most folding bikes for example. The Cicli Cinzia Firenze Folding Bike has a storage rail at the rear and comes with a very cute headlight. Worth considering if you’re interested in aesthetics as much as design.
The 20 Inch Firenze folding bike from Cinzia is ideal for commuters who place emphasis on mobility. It can be easily folded up and also used at peak times in the tram and bus. Of the most important performance features of the Cicli Cinzia Firenze folding bike includes, among other things, a practical folding frame, reliable lighting, as well as the comfortable Bassano Quake saddle. Also, the strong aluminium calliper rim brakes bring the necessary braking force. You can take the Cicli Cinzia Firenze everywhere: on the train, in the tram or even on the bus.
The Italian design conveys a special attitude towards life.
Frame Hi-Tension folding steel frame height 40 cm fork Hi-Ten Unicrown steel stem, handlebar aluminium chrome-plated steel brake calliper aluminium brake.
Seat post: 250 mm, aluminum. Saddle: Bassano Quake. Pedals: City, resin. Weight: 13.2 kg.
Dimensions when folded: (L x W x H): 80 cm x 40 cm x 70 cm.
Cicli Cinzia Firenze Folding Bike PROS:
- All components are perfectly matched and give you a unique driving experience.
- All components provide extreme durability and are designed to make the 20 inch Firenze folding bicycle a trusted companion in everyday life.
- The colour and style is gorgeous and is very easy to assemble and ride.
- The Cicli Cinzia Firenze folding bike also comes with a small air pump which fits very nicely on the side of the pannier holder.
- The quality & look of the bike is excellent.
- Great saddle & good speed without gears.
FabricBike Commuter Hybrid Bike
- ✔ Twist Shifters Ad Tektro ML520 Ergonomic Brake Levers
- ✔ 8 Speed SRAM Shift Levers
- ✔ Newly Designed WTB Comfort V Saddle
- ✔ Tektro M280 Disc Brakes
A versatile hybrid urban bike ideal for commuting, building fitness, and exploring your local roads. Flat upright handlebars complement a more aggressive frame design for a comfortable and speedy ride. Built on a durable and lightweight 4130 chromoly steel frame set that is stronger than aluminium and can absorb more road vibrations. The frame set includes rack and fender mounts for hauling groceries or heading to work.
TheWTB Slick 700x32c tires minimise rolling resistance and provide cornering grip and water dispersion. Extra comfortable WTB cushioned saddle with broad sit bone support. Equipped with SRAM 8 speed to be fast on the road or to hustle up a sudden incline in style. The FabricBike can stop quickly as it’s got Tektro M28 low-maintenance mechanical brakes for precise all-weather stopping power.
Here is an happy customers review of the FabricBike Commuter
“A very well made bike with quality parts. Great to ride and zippy. Feels very responsive on the road.”
Cheetah 3.0 Fixed Gear Road Bike
- ✔ Powder coated frame and components
- ✔ Hand spoked wheels
- ✔ Chain adjusters: Integrated stainless steel bolts
It’s a very good bicycle, highly recommended. A well designed bike, with the brand cheetah, very fast and very light ( approximately 10kg). Components are all solid and the frame is nice and light. Available in a range of colours and sizes you should definitely consider this bike if you’re looking for a new road bike.
The bike comes part-assembled in a large box and can take about 30 mins to put it together. Instructions are mostly clear. Note however that you may need a few tools to put it together – in particular a range of different sized Allen Keys. The Presta valves on the tires can reportedly take a bit of fiddling before they inflated – Pro Tip – Push the tops of the valves down in order to pump air through them if you’re having problems. It looks a really great bike when it’s all good to go. Those who’ve never ridden a fixid gear bike before love how light it is and no-fuss to ride. However it probably puts more strain on your knees than geared bikes.
- powder coated frame & components
- frame 21″ & fork: hi-ten steel, 28.6mm slim tube design in blue colour
- headset: NECO H855 with tapered bearings
- tires: KENDA Kwest K193, 700C x 28C
- rims: 42mm deep V, double wall aluminium
- hand spoked wheels
- hubs: SHUNFENG, high flange, sealed bearings
- flip-flop: 17T chrome plated fixed gear & 16T freewheel
- bottom bracket: VP BC-73, sealed bearings, 110.5mm
- crankset: LASCO anodised Fi series, 46T 170mm
- chain: KMC Z410
- chain adjusters: integrated stainless steel bolts
- pedals: VP-536 flat BMX series
- foot straps: nylon with velcro and reflector
- brake calipers: PROMAX RC-469
- brake levers: PROMAX 249, two finger – quick action
- cables: JAGWIRE with PVC removable clamps
- handlebars: JBD aluminium riser bars, 500mm x 50mm
- stem: PROMAX BA-96 BMX block
- seat: vinyl with PROMAX clamp and 25.4mm post
Probike Folding City Bike
- ✔ Front And Rear Mudguards
- ✔ Rear Cargo Rack
- ✔ Front And Rear Lights
- ✔ Twist Shifters
- Intended Use: The folding system is a revolution in the realm of riding. It is easily stored due to its small folded size and easily transported in your car or in public transport. You could use it for commuting to work, meeting friends or going on vacation.
- Key features: Steel folding frame, Shimano Tourney rear derailleur, Front and rear lights, Rear carrier,6 Gears, V-brakes, “wrist change” shifter, Assembly instructions in 5 languages, Assembled at 90 %, Enhanced packaging for extra protection.
- Recommended for: This model is suitable for people with height of 130 – 180 cm.; above the age of 11 years.
- Geometry: Wheel Size: 20 Inch; Adjustable Seat Post Length: 64 – 98 cm.; Seat Tube: 31 cm.; Reach: 62cm Stack: 98 cm.
- Safety Compliance: Produced in the European Union in accordance with the EU’s bicycle safety regulations; The manufacturer is ISO 9001:2008 certified.
The Probike folding city bike is a great option for those on a tight budget. If you’re looking for a bike that doesn’t cost the earth yet offers a comfortable ride and has the customer reviews to prove it. This might be the bike for you.
As with all folding bikes, the Probike folding city bike comes with the added convenience of being easily stored when not in use. Folding the bike away is a hassle free and straight forward task that doesn’t take a long time to complete.
We’ve found a video to help you complete the final stages of configuration, straight out of the box.
[smartvideo src=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8pcu2tKMAg” width=”426″ height=”240″ controls=true]
The bike comes with some nice extras like the front and rear mudguards to help avoid any water or debris reaching you or your clothing. The last thing you want if you’re using the bike to get to work is to arrive with wet clothes or shoes. A rear cargo rack for carrying your luggage, no need to carry all your things on your back. It also comes with front and rear LED lights. Which is great for evening or night time commutes in and out of the city.
Although this model only comes with V brakes it’s difficult to fault the Probike as mechanical disc brakes are way outside of the budget this bike is targeting. If it were to be given mechanical disc brakes you could expect to pay far more for the bike to accommodate the additional expense. Instead the V brakes allow the price to remain low and from previous customer reviews it would seem the V brakes work perfectly fine. This isn’t a racing bike so we wouldn’t suggest riding at high speed. Folding bikes can be weaker than most conventional road bikes as they have several joining components rather than a single piece frame.
Overall we’re very impressed with the Probike folding city bike. It’s comfortable, well received by previous and current owners and above all else it’s available at a great price for those on a tight budget. Check it out.
OUXI Foldable Electric Bike
- ✔ 350W Electric Motor
- ✔ 6.6Ah Lithium Battery
- ✔ Front And Rear LED Lights
- ✔ Foldable Front And Collapsible Rear Stems
The electric bike has 350W high-speed motor 36V & 6.6Ah lithium battery easily help you to drive up to 25km/h and 25-40 km range, fast charging system only about 4 hours, it is ideal for getting around the city and short distance travel.
The electric bicycle has 3 riding modes.Pure electric, electric assist and riding modes, you can switch modes at will, making riding more fun.Suitable for men and women.
The folding electric bike is inspired by the Nike trademark, it has a strong sense of recognition, a unique appearance, and a smooth overall design. (Riders can be folded, for portable convenient, easy storage)
A highlight red LED light in the tail of the bicycle accompanies you in night riding.Press the brake to flash the taillight and remind following drivers and pedsistrians.
Three major parts including battery, component and frame are fix up for 1 year. Our bikes are shipped from Europe,you can get it in 2-5 business days.We strive to be at the forefront of evolving and innovative.
The OUXI foldable electric bike has a very unique frame that catches attention without obviously showing off with vivid colours. It’s high quality components shine through when riding, especially the powerful front and rear disc brakes that the OUXI boasts. Overall it might not be the best folding bike we have on our list but if you’re looking for a small, nippy bike to get you around the town then this bike is a great choice.
FIIDO D3 Folding Electric Bike
- ✔ Lightweight Aluminium Frame
- ✔ 250W Electric Motor
- ✔ Mechanical Disc Brakes
- ✔ 3 Riding Modes, Full Electric, Assisted And Manual
The handle bar is made from aluminium alloy. This makes the bike light weight yet remain very sturdy.
- Net Weight: 36.3lb
- Tyres: 14inch
- Max Load: 240lb
- Adjustable Saddle Tube :70-105cm
- Adjustable Handlebar: 95-110cm
Intelligent Cycling Model
Switch easily between the 3 cycling modes. Full electric, assisted electric and fully manual. When turn the throttle on, it’s automatically in pure electric mode, as well as when turn the throttle off and step the pedals, it’s in assisted mode. The assisted riding speed may be affected by the rider’s weight, environment and road conditions.
Brake & Gear Shift System
The FIIDO D3 folding electric bike has a 12Tooth Gearing system, a 3-speed assistant powered shift, 52-tooth chain set and the perfect brakes fully protect your safety. The horn and the bright LED headlamp are equipped for night riding.
The folding design can bring you a lot of convenience. The one-piece forged quick folding mechanism can be easily collapsed and folded by unlocking the automatic locking insurance mechanism, which is great for daytime storage at the bottom of the office or under the stairs. The whole bike, when folded can even be placed in the boot of a car.
We really like this bike It’s the 3rd Fiido we’ve reviewed and honestly we love them all. Check it out.
Viking Rio Fixed Gear Road Bike
- ✔ Hi-Tensile Steel Frame
- ✔ Single Gear
- ✔ Front And Rear V-Brakes
- ✔ Flip Flop Hub
The Viking Rio Single Speed Bike is ideal for city commuting and offers a comfortable riding position due to the riser handlebars. The orange and white colourway will keep your bike looking fresh and bright so you won’t have to worry about becoming bored of the colour. This bike will turn heads wherever you ride. 380mm ultra narrow alloy bars will help you get through even the tightest of city squeezes and the alloy caliper brakes coupled with double high wall rims make this bike an ideal companion in your travel to and from work, or for a leisurely ride in the city or anywhere!
- Hi-tensile road sport frame with straight bladed forks
- Single speed with a 16T freewheel & 16T fixed sprocket
- Single road chainset 46T with 170mm crank arms
- Alloy aero V double wall rims with alloy hubs (Flip-flop rear)
- 700c x 23c black road tyres
- Alloy side pull caliper brakes with alloy road levers
- 480mm alloy road handlebars with alloy A-head stem
- Viking road sports saddle with alloy micro-adjust seat post
- Alloy seat clamp
- Non-slip pedals
Fixed wheel, single speed or Fixie bike including a Flip Flop hub so you can set it as a fixed or free wheel bicycle.
Flite Men's Hardtail Mountain Bike
- ✔ Hardtail Steel Frame
- ✔ 18 Speed Shimano Gears And Shifters
- ✔ Zoom Suspension Fork
- ✖ Weighs 16kg So Quite Heavy
This versatile mountain bike offers great value for money and is ideal for both teenage and adult riders. With 18 gears and Shimano revo shifters it is easy and comfortable to use, while the 20 inch high-tensile steel frame and front suspension forks ensure a smooth, solid ride even on challenging terrain. The Flite Active Hardtail comes with high quality front and rear V-brakes to give you control and safety when you’re out exploring the great outdoors, and with a padded gent’s sports saddle it boasts a great all-round cycling package.
Getting away from it all has never been easier thanks to the Flite Active 26 inch front suspension gents Mountain bike. Cycle away the miles with ease and comfort, this versatile Mountain bike is equally suited to your daily commute or a weekend spin in the country.
Front suspension on a MTB specific frame for a great ride.
Shimano 18 speed gear system provides smooth gear changes when required.
- Men’s mountain bikes.
- 18 Twist grip gear(s).
- microSHIFT Shifters shifters.
- Shimano RD-TY18 rear derailleur.
- Front V-type and rear V-type brakes.
- Front suspension.
- Mountain bike style Kenda tyres.
- Alloy rims.
- 9mm wheel nut size.
- Steel frame.
- Suspension forks.
- Reflectors included.
- Adjustable seat.
- Adjustable handlebars.
- Minimal assembly.
- Ape Rider 20″ Folding Bike
- Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Road Bike
- Cicli Cinzia Firenze Folding Bike
- FabricBike Commuter Hybrid Bike
- Cheetah 3.0 Fixed Gear Road Bike
- Probike Folding City Bike
- OUXI Foldable Electric Bike
- FIIDO D3 Folding Electric Bike
- Viking Rio Fixed Gear Road Bike
- Flite Men’s Hardtail Mountain Bike