Top 9 Best Hybrid Bikes Under £500 (June 2020)
Hybrid bicycles blend characteristics from more specialised road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes. The resulting “hybrid” is a general-purpose bike that can tolerate a wide range of riding conditions and applications. Their stability, comfort and ease of use make them popular options for individuals looking to commute, cyclists who are looking for a casual ride and even children or anyone who has little or no experience in cycling. With £500 to spend on the best hybrid bikes we’re likely to find some promising options. Especially since initial analysis saw that hybrid bikes under £400 is a pivotal price point
What To Expect
The best hybrid bikes under £500 are highly likely to have simplistic aluminium frame design. Hybrid bikes often comes with additional features such as mudguards, a pannier rack, a kickstand and dynamo lighting. With a budget of £500 we’re going to be on the look out for some of these very features. Performance components however may still be a little out of our price range. Components such as carbon fiber frame material, disc brakes, suspension fork and branded tyres.
What Is A Hybrid Bike?
Hybrid bikes attract a wide range of riders since they are so versatile Some people want a bike that can get them to work and withstand pothole-infested roads. Others want a comfortable ride for weekend adventures that may end up on gravel roads or hiking trails. Then, there are those that want a bicycle to do all of that, plus hold work clothes and groceries while taking the hilly route home.
Despite a hybrid bike having similarities to a combination of a road bike and a mountain bike by choosing one of the budget hybrids you’re likely to end up with a bike that lacks practicality. This is due to the hybrid bike trying to be the answer of everything but master of nothing. Riders of hybrid bikes will find that they are slower on pavement than conventional road or touring bikes. Hybrids might also be found lacking in the traction department when riding uphill or traversing uneven or slick surfaces. The pros of this type of bike at this price range are that you can find some great entry level bikes. Some with alloy frame composition and perfectly capable rim brakes.
Who Are Hybrids For?
Hybrid bikes come suitable for all, you can buy a hybrid bike for women and for men. The riding position of a hybrid is suited to those that sit more up right that on a road bike. Hybrid bikes usually have gears and the quality of these components will depend on the budget being spent. Hybrids can be used for recreational purposes, as commuters , for touring, or for fitness training. These versatile bikes come equipped with many of the same features that you’ll find on road and mountain bikes. They’re built for comfort and speed and have a durable frame that’s designed for daily use.
We’ve collected a list of the best hybrid bikes under £500. Hopefully it will help you find the perfect budget bike you’re looking for.
FabricBike Commuter Hybrid Bike
- ✔ Twist Shifters Ad Tektro ML520 Ergonomic Brake Levers
- ✔ 8 Speed SRAM Shift Levers
- ✔ Newly Designed WTB Comfort V Saddle
- ✔ Tektro M280 Disc Brakes
A versatile hybrid urban bike ideal for commuting, building fitness, and exploring your local roads. Flat upright handlebars complement a more aggressive frame design for a comfortable and speedy ride. Built on a durable and lightweight 4130 chromoly steel frame set that is stronger than aluminium and can absorb more road vibrations. The frame set includes rack and fender mounts for hauling groceries or heading to work.
TheWTB Slick 700x32c tires minimise rolling resistance and provide cornering grip and water dispersion. Extra comfortable WTB cushioned saddle with broad sit bone support. Equipped with SRAM 8 speed to be fast on the road or to hustle up a sudden incline in style. The FabricBike can stop quickly as it’s got Tektro M28 low-maintenance mechanical brakes for precise all-weather stopping power.
Here is an happy customers review of the FabricBike Commuter
“A very well made bike with quality parts. Great to ride and zippy. Feels very responsive on the road.”
Flying Mountain Bike
- ✔ Lightweight Aluminium Frame
- ✔ 12 Speed Gear System
- ✔ Shimano EF500 Break/Shifters
- ✔ Much Like RedBull This Bike Does Not Give You Wings
- Strong lightweight aluminium alloy frame, frame size 17″ (46cm) = M, suitable for height 1,65 m – 1,80 m
- 21-speed gears with shimano EF500 Brake/Shift handlebar-mounted control levers, Freewheel Shimano MF-TZ500-7 14T-28T, Front Derailleur Shimano FD-TZ50, Rear Derailleur Shimano RD-TY50. KMC chain. Prowheel crank.
- Alloy disc brake, double wall alloy wider rim, quick release for the front wheels, 26″ x 1.95″,A/V good look tyre with extra puncture protection. Front suspension fork with lock, 80mm travel. Non-slip with grips pedals. Front and rear mudguard included, with kickstand. The inner tube is standard 26 * 1.95 with 60mm Schrader valve.
- The bike is for normal use only, can not be used for competition, stunt riding and ramp jumping. All cycles are 85% assembled, it will require more assembly on pedals, stem bars, and front wheel. Adjusting front, rear brakes, and gears, as well as a general check over of all fixings on pre assembled parts. We strongly suggest that customers take the bike to a local bike shop for assistance, and is likely to incur extra cost to the purchaser.
The mountain bikes with 21 speeds contains the following features:
- Strong alloy frame, frame size 17″ (46cm) = M, suitable for height 1,65 m – 1,80 m
- 21-speed gears with shimano EF500 Brake/Shift handlebar-mounted control levers
- Freewheel: Shimano MF-TZ500-7 and Shimano 14T-28T
- Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-TZ50
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-TY50
- Double wall alloy wide rim with white and blue letters
- 26″ x 1.95″,A/V good look tyre
- Non-slip with grips pedals
- Hardtail mountain bike, front suspension fork with lock
- Alloy disc brakes
- Comfort saddle
- Kick stand
- Front and back mudguards
Ammaco Osprey Mountain Bike
- ✔ Very Lightweight
- ✔ Zoom Front Suspension Fork
- ✔ Front And Rear Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- ✔ Shimano 21 Speed Hydraulic Shift Levers
- Lightweight Hardtail Frame – Zoom Front Suspension Forks – Front & Rear Shimano BR/BL-MT200 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Shimano 21 Speed Hydraulic STI EZ Fire Levers (3 x 7) – 650mm Wide MTB Handlebars, A-Head Stem Black
- Shimano Tourney TY-501 175mm Triple Chainset – Shimano Tourney TZ Front Derailleur – Shimano Tourney Rear Derailleur
- Shimano TZ500-7 Freewheel – Tyres: 27.5″ x 2.1″ MTB – Wheel: 27.5″ Q/R, Double Wall Rims – Frame Size: 21″
- Colour: Duck Egg Blue & Yellow – This bike comes 90% built and will require a simple final assembly.
The Osprey V1 solid aluminium frame is built to last whilst being light enough to translate your efforts into sheer speed, and the saddle was designed with comfort in mind. High quality components help to deliver that feel good factor when blasting along trails; a Zoom front fork absorbs bumps on rugged tracks, 21 speed Shimano gears provide smooth shifting up hills, and confidence-inspiring stopping power is delivered by mechanical disc brakes.
We really like this bike, it’s a great all rounder with some terrific Shimano components. A great second, or third bike for those currently on budget mountain bikes.
Lombardo Sestriere Mountain Bike
- ✔ Stunningly Simplistic Yet Spectacular Colour Scheme
- ✔ Lightweight 6061 Alloy Frame
- ✔ Shimano M310 Mechanical Disc Brakes
- ✔ 95% Assembled Upon Delivery
- 21” Lightweight 6061 Alloy Frame with integrated head-set
- 24-speed Shimano Acera Gears with M310 STI Shifters
- Suntour XCT-V3 Fork (80 mm travel)
- Shimano M310 Mechanical Disc-Brakes
- Very easily assembly 95% already built up!
- Padded Sports Saddle with 300mm Alloy Seat Post
- Flat Bars with A-Head Alloy Stem
- Suitable for Inside Leg Measurement 30″-35″ (76cm-89cm)
- Suitable for Ages 12+ Years
We love this bike. It looks like it has been designed by someone who designed F1 racing cars. From its beautiful black and white saddle through the exquisitely designed frame which in itself is perfect, the handlebars compliment the rest of this beautiful bike. The front white fork, all black tyres and chrome suspension look exceptional with the vinyl prints finishing the simplistic Italian bike off perfectly.
And all this for a fraction of the price we first guessed when laying eyes on this thing. Check it out for yourself and have the most tasteful bike on the mountain trail.
MBM Life Hybrid Bike
- ✔ Fully Aluminium Frame
- ✔ 21 Speed Shimano Gearing System
- ✔ Sleek & Minimal Design
- ✔ 90% Assembled, Screw In Pedals, Seat And Handlebar
The LIFE men’s bike by MBM is a hybrid bike that has a minimal, linear design but at the same time elegant and attractive and adapts to every need. It is available in two colours: black and white.
Lightweight and easy to use thanks to its aluminium frame which is available in 3 different sizes:
– 50 cm – for a height between 160 and 170 cm approximately;
– 54 cm for heights between 170 and 180 cm approx;
– 58cm – For those who measure approximately 180 to 190 cm.
Crankset and hubs are made of aluminum; it has 21 speed Shimano RS36 gears and 28 inch wheels.
In addition, MBM models are delivered assembled and ready to use, simply screw the pedals and insert the seat and handlebar.
Frame/FRAME Alloy 6061 H50
Fork / Fork Hi-ten steel.
1 inch headset.
CRANK Set 48x38x28T White Alloy
Movement/B/B Set Cartridge
Remote controls/shaver Sh revo rs 36
Rear derailleur Sh TY300
Front derailleur Sh ty510
Brakes/brakes white alloy.
Freewheel Sh Tz21
Pedals/pedals brown non-slip
MOZZI/HUBS alloy w/quick release.
Rims/rims white alloy double wall.
Tyres/Tyres 700 x 35 Brown
Saddle Tube/Seat Post White Alloy
Handlebar attachment/STEM white alloy.
Handlebar/handlebar white alloy.
Bassano Life Saddle
The quality to price ratio is incredible, the design is very simple and pleasant. The bike is quite versatile and adapts to different usage scenarios. The frame is light and materials are discreet.
Aesthetics and design are very particular, with brown tires and white rims that give the bicycle a slight retro touch. The layer of paint is not very thick therefore, in order not to spoil it. We recommend applying thin strips of rubber in the points where the various accessories are to be placed, including the bottle cage. Of which there are no distinct holes, so we suggest using cable ties rather than damage the frame.
The braking system is made up of common “v-brakes” which guarantee good performance: the intensity of the braking is more modular than the mechanical disc brakes (with wire) but they suffer in wet conditions.
This bike is beautiful, it rides really really well and we can’t seem to find a fault with it. If your budget allows(and it should, as it’s not particularly expensive), you really should give it a chance.
Arden Trail Mountain Bike
- ✔ Hi-Tensile steel frame and forks
- ✔ Rear Shimano derailleur for improved shifting
- ✔ Lightweight alloy rims
- ✔ Easy to use twist grip gear levers
When we saw the price of the Arden Trail Mountain Bike we thought it was a mistake, however assurances were given that this bike is aimed at the budget market and the price is correct. The bike is no thrills however for the price it’s nothing less than you’d expect. We’ve seen some previous buyers suggest getting a service done just to be sure the setup is correct. Even if you decided to upgrade the seat, pedals and tyres this bike would still come out far cheaper than some of the podium position options mentioned above. If budget is your priority then this bike is well worth a look.
The Arden Trail mountain bike has a classic road bike look about it. It’s simple, sleek design is complemented by it’s vivid red fork. The bulk of the bikes frame is black, matching the saddle, handlebars, gear system and pedals. Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with black, it looks professional and will allow reflective plates to be as visible as possible throughout the day and night.
The bikes frame is made of hi-tensile steel, it’s strong enough to take a beating off road yet as mentioned above has a minimal, classic look to it. The handlebars are straight and quite comfortable, the bike even comes with a bell for those of you planning on politely passing pedestrians. The handlebars are equipped with easy to use twist grip gear levers as well as standard brake levers. The gear system of choice on the Arden Trail mountain bike is a 21 speed Shimano one. This is enhanced with a rear Shimano dereailleur system for improved shifting.
The brakes used on the Arden Trail mountain bike are v-type brakes at the front and rear, they’re powerful brakes and more than fit the bill when it comes to stopping the bike quickly and safely. It’s difficult to tell without testing the bike over several months but the pads seem pretty good on the brakes so no concerns there.
The mountain bike comes with lightweight alloy wheels and an ‘in the middle’ tyre, the tread is good enough for off road cycling but still quite suitable for long journeys on smoother surfaces. The main concern with this bike is simply the fact it doesn’t have a suspension system like many other mountain bikes do, however the tyres do dampen a lot of the impact while off road so it’s not really an issue unless you’re giving the bike a real beating.
This bike is very well received online and has a large amount of reviews, feel free to check the price via the button on this page for more information.
Professional Bikes Womens City Hybrid Bike
- ✔ Low Step Through Steel Frame
- ✔ 6 Speed Shimano Revoshift Gearing System
- ✔ Full Length Mudguards
- ✔ Comes 90% Built
Enjoy the great outdoors with the Professional Bikes City Womens Bike, the City provides a smooth ride while its 6 speed Shimano gear is great for those rural hills. Coupled with the large 700c wheels it is perfect for all occasions, whether it be a ride through town or a leisurely ride through the park. The Professional City hybrid saddle provides superior comfort when going over bumps or rocky road
- Hi-Tensile Low Step Through Steel Frame
- Hi-Tensile Steel Forks
- V-Type Brakes
- Shimano Revoshift 6 Speed Gears
- Shimano Tourney Rear Derailleur
- 14-28T Freewheel
- Full Length Mudguards
- KMC Chain
- Sprung Saddle
- Tyre Size: 700 x 35c
- Wheel Size: 700c
If you’re in the market for a cheap, comfortable bike then you really can’t go wrong with Professional Bikes’ City bike (that sounds strange but we assure you it’s correct). You’ll be cycling in no time and your bank account won’t have taken a beating.
BIWBIK Traveller Folding Electric Bike
- ✔ 36V/10Ah Internal Lithium Battery
- ✔ 250W / 36V Brushless Motor
- ✔ 25 Mile Range On Full Electric Mode
- ✔ Front And Rear Mechanical Disc Brakes
or Choose Your Preferred Region
Lighter, more resistant and more functional than other bicycles of its kind. The best specifications at an unbeatable price.
Ride in style and safety every day, enjoying the comfort of power-assisted pedalling and all the benefits of a bicycle for all of your city rides.
Take advantage of bike lanes and forget parking and public transportation costs as you move through the city quickly, naturally, and effortlessly.
Store it easily in the smallest of spaces, thanks to its ergonomic and optimised folding.
- Electronic assisted folding bike – 36V /10Ah battery inside the frame, easy to charge.
- Certificate of conformity to EN15194 standards – EC-approved PAS (pedal assisted) system with 3 levels of assistance.
- 250W / 36V brushless motor – Battery life 40-70 km – aluminium frame.
- Shimano 6-speed derailleur with front and rear disc brakes.
- Weight 18kg; Wheel diameter:20 x 1.95 inches – Double wall rim – Front cushioning:
Viking Westminster Hybrid Bike
- ✔ 6 Speed Shimano Thumb Shifter Gearing System
- ✔ Chain Guard Housing
- ✔ Alloy V-Type Brakes
- ✔ Rear Storage Rack
Taking you back to the good old days of cycling, with all the modern technology, the Viking Westminster is the best value for money heritage bike out there. It features Shimano 6 speed gears with a Thumshifter Plus lever for easier gear shifts, a Thun sealed cartridge bottom bracket system for a more durable drivetrain, and double wall alloy rims for a stronger wheelset.
The Viking Westminster Mens Heritage Bike is ideal for city commuting, or popping down the shops. It offers a comfortable riding position due to the city style handlebars and equally comfortable ease of use due to the tried and tested 6 speed Shimano gearing paired with the Shimano thumb shifters.
Offered in a 18″ frame, with 26″ alloy rims, the Westminster fits most.
- Frame: Hi Tensile 20″ frame
- Gears: Shimano 6 speed, with a Shimano Thumbshifter Plus gear lever and a 14/28 freewheel
- Chainset: Steel single 36T, with enclosed chainguard. Thun cartridge bb set
- Wheels: 26” alloy 36 hole double wall rims with 26” x 1.75” gum wall tyres
- Brakes: Alloy V brake with alloy brake levers
- Steering: City style handlebar, short reach stem with comfort grips
The Viking Westminster – the perfect mix of classic looks, modern technology and value for money.
Best Hybrid Bikes Under £300Hybrid bicycles blend characteristics from more specialised road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes. The resulting "hybrid" is a general...
Best Hybrid Bikes Under £1000Hybrid bikes come in a wide range of prices and, while there are some great deals to be had, the general rule of thumb is that you get what y...
Best Hybrid Bikes Under £200Hybrid bicycles blend characteristics from more specialised road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes. The resulting "hybrid" is a general...
- Multibrand Probike Mountain Bike
- Professional Bikes Mens City Hybrid Bike
- Surly Pack Rat Road Bike
- Muddyfox Road 14 Road Bike
- Ammaco Madrid City Bike
- Venice I Love Italy City Bike
- Ammaco Professional Downtown Womens Hybrid Bike
- Ammaco Avenue Road Bike
- Ammaco Kensington Hybrid Commuter Bike
- HRUI Road Bike