Top 5 Best Mountain Bikes Under £1000 (June 2020)
In this article we’re going to try and find the best mountain bikes under £1000. Despite the name, mountain bikes are actually designed to do any kind of biking you want – it’s just that manufacturers build them with certain specialities in mind. A mountain bike is a great investment and you don’t want to just pick the cheapest option. If you are seeking a better value then stick to basic designs and materials with standard 26-inch wheels. A basic core design can still measure up to some of the higher priced models in ability and durability.
The Best Mountain Bike Frames
You can’t overlook the frame element on a mountain bike under £1000. The weight and usability of the MTB very much depend on this. Most of the best entry products are made of aluminium, which is a versatile framing material and comfortable to ride with. In mid-range mountain bike, you may get a mixture of carbon and aluminium. Often the best bikes have carbon with lower components, which is next to an alloy bike. You can go for an alloy bike with mid-range and upgrade the components later. The carbon frame bikes are lighter than the aluminium and tend to be stiffer earlier.
A few years back, carbon bikes had a reputation for being fragile, but the best modern carbon mountain bikes are much stronger and durable. When it comes to looking for the right speed bike, you have a few to choose from. Most standard mountain bikes come in 21-speed, 24-speed and 27-speed. We’d definitely recommend getting a mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes as v-type brakes aren’t so good in wet or muddy conditions.
What Type Of Mountain Bike Should You Get?
Using a mountain bike for city rides and occasional off-roading is a common choice for users. For this kind of use, having dual suspension with dual disc brakes are not a necessity. At the same time is someone is purchasing a mountain bike for serious off-roading activities having the features mentioned here becomes a necessity. This can mean a more expensive bike and will be purely down to your price point.
Hardtail Mountain Bikes Under £1000
If you prefer biking on smoother trails, or enjoy taking on large hills to push your cardiovascular endurance. You’ll want to invest in a hardtail mountain bike. These single suspension bikes don’t have the shock absorption of full suspension bikes, but they’re the perfect fit for mountain biking on flatter terrain or shifting up steep slopes.
Full Suspension Mountain Bikes Under £1000
Full suspension mountain bikes are must-haves for tackling tough trails, jumps, and obstacles that a hardtail can’t handle. They tend to be pricier than single suspension bikes, but having the full-suspension traction and stability for fearless, affordable mountain biking is a must if you’re serious about your off-road adventures.
Augu Folding Mountain Bike
- ✔ Dual Suspension
- ✔ 30 Speed Rear Derailleur And Shifters
- ✔ Chunky On And Off Road Tyres
- ✔ Dual Mechanical Disc Brakes
or Choose Your Preferred Region
If you’re looking to step up your mountain biking skills without breaking the bank, then look no further. The Mountain Bike is the perfect bike to go out and conquer the trails on. Equipped with a sturdy high-carbon steel dual-suspension frame , every trail is now in play. What are you waiting for? Enjoy the freedom of riding mountain bike. This dual suspension bicycle is the perfect choice for anyone looking to off-road and on the trails! with its sturdy steel frame, front & rear suspension and 26 inch wheels with MTB specific tyres, this bicycle offers the perfect full package and looks the part.
- Frame Material: High-carbon Steel
- Handlebar: Comfortable Non-slip rubber handle
- Brake: Front and Rear Mechanical Double Disk Brake
- Saddle: Professional MTB Saddle
- Speed: 27
- Wheel Size: 26 inches
- featuring a front suspension fork and rear shock
- Fork: Front Fork Suspension
- Number of blades: 6
- Maximum weight capacity: 240lbs
Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 Electric Mountain Bike
- ✔ Quick Release Battery
- ✔ Front And Rear Mechanical Disc Brakes
- ✔ Up To 31 Miles Battery Range
- ✖ Quite A Heavy Steel Frame
- Easy to use – Quick release battery. Quick release front wheel. Safe to ride in the rain. Minimal assembly (under 5 mins). Quick change Shimano gears
- Incredible performance – 28 miles range on normal terrain. Reach speeds of up to 15 mph. Upgraded lithium-ion battery – 36V
- Stylish – Latest mountain bike frame design – not some old frame that looks like it has been taken from a 1920’s film set. Bright silver brushed finish.
- Comfort – Padded saddle. 21-speed Shimano gears for a smooth ride. Kenda Tyres. Front suspension.
- In line with European laws, this model does not have a fully automatic electric mode – some degree of peddling is always required.
The original Power Plus model brought the joys and practicalities of e-bikes to a huge audience around the world, and was one of the most popular in its class.
The CX1 builds on that success, adding a new more powerful motor, an upgraded battery, a 21-speed gear system, and improved reliability.
The bike can be used as a standard bike – the mountain bike frame, strong brakes, suspension and Shimano gears with quick-shift offer all the features of a premium bike. The CX1 can be used simply as a traditional ‘pedal’ bike without any problems, however it also features:
Assisted mode will kick in the power as you start pedalling and add extra power to each cycle, propelling you faster and with less effort
Easy to use
Quick release battery. Quick release front wheel. Minimal assembly (under 5 mins). Quick change Shimano gears
28 miles range on normal terrain. Reach speeds of up to 15 m/h. Upgraded lithium-ion battery – 36V
Latest mountain bike frame design – not some old frame that looks like it has been taken from a 1920’s film set. Bright silver brushed finish.
Padded saddle. 21-speed Shimano gears for a smooth ride. Kenda Tyres. Front suspension.
21 Shimano gears
Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 electric bike has 21 Shimano gear combinations to offer. This isn’t the most on the market, but 21 gears will allow you to cycle on a variety of terrains pretty conveniently. No climbs should be a problem for you thanks to the 21 gears.
Front suspension fork
Having a front suspension fork, this bike is more of a general-purpose all-road mountain bike. The front fork should be pretty good at absorbing impact at moderately rough terrains, which makes this bike good for all-terrain cycling.
3 pedal assist modes
The main feature of Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 electric bike is its 3 pedal assist modes – low, medium, and high – that get engaged when you start to pedal. With the pedal assist, you could reach speeds up to 15mph.
And because the pedal-assist stays off while you are not pedaling, the bike doesn’t waste any battery charge. It only engages the motor when you need it.
You could also switch the assist off completely to pedal CX1 just like a regular bike.
Sealed high-charge battery
The capacity of the included 36V Li-Ion battery is pretty good as well. On a full charge, the 250W motor allows this bike to cover 25 – 31 miles on normal terrain at up to 15 mph speeds. And that’s plenty of distance.
And if you use the assist mode intermittently during your trip, you could extend the battery life much further.
Both the rear and front wheels on this bike have disc brakes. So when it comes to braking performance, this bike should provide you with plenty of stopping power.
The padded seat of the CX1 bike has some good height adjustment to offer – 31.5 – 35.5 inches, to be exact. Paired with the 26” tires, this allows pretty much anyone aged above 14 and over 5’4” tall to conveniently ride this bike.
Quick-release battery and front wheel
The last feature that should be noted in Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 electric bike is its quick-release battery and front wheel. The battery is easy to take and recharge, while the removable front wheel will allow you to make this bike more compact and convenient for transport and storage.
Features and Specs:
- 17″ steel frame
- 26″ wheels
- More powerful 250w brushless motor
- Upgraded 36V 8.8AH lithium battery
- 4-6 hours for full recharge
- Max distance: 25-31 miles
- Max speed: 15 m/h
- Fully sealed battery
- Safe to ride in the rain
- Padded saddle
- Disc brakes
- Kenda tyres
- 21 Speed Shimano gears
- Quick release battery
- Quick release front wheel
- Bell and reflectors
- Suitable for user 162cm / age 14 upwards
- Max user weight: 100KG
- Size: 170 x 63.5 x 130cm
- Weight of bike: 21Kgs
As our Cyclamatic power plus cx1 electric mountain bike review showed, CX1 is a pretty good electric mountain bike. With a price tag that puts it in the budget electric mountain bike category it’s certainly got a lot of features for such a reasonable price.
BIKFUN Folding Electric Mountain Bike
- ✔ Front And Rear Mechanical Disc Brakes
- ✔ Bright LED Headlights And Horn
- ✔ Compact and Lightweight Foldable Bike
- ✔ Arrives 85% Assembled
- Three Modes to Meet Diverse Needs: There are three working modes, among which are normal mode, electric mode and power assistance mode. The modes can be switched at any time and just enjoy your trip with your mind.
- More Flexible Design: Compact and lightweight, this lovely bike is foldable and can be taken away after folding and put in the trunk of a car. Adjustable handlebars and saddle heights suitable for different heights of people.Battery can be removed for easy charging. The bright LED headlights and horn are ideal for night cycling.
- Brake and Gear Shift System: Electric folding bike is equipped with mechanical disc brakes on the front and rear, and that features it perfect climbing ability and high shock absorption, and achieve fast braking once you press the brake.
- Battery and Motor System with High Performance: The 36V / 7.8Ah lithium battery is equipped with an intelligent charger, and your bike will be full of energy by chargeing only for 4 to 6 hours; 250W high speed gear motor with lower power consumption could able to reach a speed up to 25 km/h.
- Installation and Customer Service: This ebike achieves 85% of assembly. Fast delivery allows you to get your loved bike as soon as possible. The main electrical devices, e.g. batteries and electric motor, are guaranteed for one year. And you are welcome to contact us if you have any problems!
The BIKFUN Folding Electric Mountain Bike has an approximate radius of 15 to 30 miles on a full charge and can reach a top speed of 15mph. The 36V 8Ah lithium battery is removable and takes approximately 4 to 6 hours to fully charge. The lithium battery powers a 250W brushless high speed geared motor that previous customers have described as ‘silent’ which is great because no one wants a constant ‘moped’ noise while they’re out and about.
The bike folds away for easy storage or transportation. We think this is a great bike and is cheaper than many of the competitors that have similar features. Well worth considering.
Basis Hunter Electric Mountain Bike
- ✔ 6 Speed Shimano Gearing
- ✔ 250W 36v Rear Hub Motor
- ✔ 7.8Ah Frame Integrated Battery
- ✔ Up To 25 Miles Battery Range
- Frame: 17″ Integrated Battery Alloy
- Forks: Front Suspension MTB Fork
- Battery: 7.8Ah LG Cells – Frame Integrated
- Motor: 250w 36v Rear Hub
- Brakes: Alloy V-Brakes Front & Rear
- Gearing: Shimano 6 Speed
- Wheels: 26″ Alloy
- Tyres: 26″x2.125 MTB
- Display: LED w/ 4MPH Walk Assist
- Colour: Black/Lime
- Range: Up to 25 Miles*
A game changer from Basis Bikes.
The most discreet electric bike we’ve seen from the E-Bikes Direct exclusive brand. To the untrained eye, the Hunter seems to be an orinary adult MTB. Look a little closer and you’ll see a chunky lower frame tube disceetly packing a 7.8Ah 36v LG battery, this sends the power to it’s 250w 36v rear hub brushless motor providing that surge of torque to the rear wheel as you pedal to make the trickiest of inclines and terrains an absolute breeze.
Enjoy up to 25 miles of assistance from a single charge of the battery, with the motor capable of speeds up to 15.5MPH. Besides the brains & heart of this clever bike, Basis have included front suspension MTB forks to cushion the ride in unison with the 26″ wheels wrapped in 2.125 off-road tyres. As for gearing, the Hunter packs a Shimano 6 speed system with a 14-28t ratio adjusted by a handlebar mounted grip shifter, which, with the power assistance ensures an effortless but adrenaline filled adventure!
A very well equipped electric mountain bike, with attributes only seen on bikes of a much higher price range.
With a few cherries on top to sweeten the deal such as a handy kickstand, internally routed wiring and a 4MPH walk assist mode, the Hunter checks all the boxes.
ANCHEER Classic Electric Mountain Bike
- ✔ 250W Electric Motor
- ✔ Up To 30 Miles Battery Range
- ✔ 21 Speed Gear System
- ✔ 85% Pre-Assembled
- ELECTRIC SYSTEM — Equipped with the 36V 8AH lithium-Ion removable battery and 250W stable motor, you can reach a range of up to 15-30 miles at top speed 15mph per charge. Plenty for a day’s adventure or most trips to travel and back. You can charge the battery on/off the ebike by your convenience. No worry for being stolen!
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL — The Aluminium Alloy frame– light, strong and designed to last, makes it easy to manoeuvre. Aluminium Alloy double-walled rims are for greater durability as well as faster ride with less drag. A high- strength front suspension fork can take your riding comfort to the next level.
- SHIFTER&BRAKE SYSTEM — Front and rear mechanical disc brakes Disc brakes for reliable all-weather stopping power. 21-Speed gear increases hill-climbing power, further range variation, and greater terrain adaptability. And the horn and the bright LED headlamp are equipped for night riding.
- 3 WORKING MODES — E-bike & Assisted bicycle & Normal bike. With the LED 3-speed smart meter button, you can choose the electric assist power according to your needs. You can add a burst of speed with the throttle, which is ideal for pulling away from traffic lights. Combining three modes would be a better choice.
- SERVICE AVAILABLE — With one-year warranty for the electric motor, battery and other parts except for frame, no worry about using it.
Electric bikes come in all shapes and sizes. Ancheer’s 36V mountain bike sits at the entry level for electric bicycles, but offers a powerful 250W motor that takes the pain out of cycling up hills.
The first thing you’ll notice is the battery which looks like an oversized drinks bottle. It makes it obvious you’re riding an electric bike, but the frame is otherwise just like a standard mountain bike. The removable battery means you can unlock it with the key and take it indoors to charge (which takes 4-6 hours).
The bike has tasteful retro style LED lights that not only adds to the appearance of the bike, but also your safety. It is easy to miss a biker when it is dark. The lights ensure the biker is not missed even in low light conditions.
Safely Go Fast Up to 25 mph
This e-bike is equipped with a 21-speed transmission system giving bikers the flexibility to travel fast at speeds up to 25 mph. With the fitted front and rear disc brakes, biking is perfectly safe especially when you need to make a sudden halt. This mountain bike also comes with a bright LED headlight which makes travelling in low-light a lot safer.
Durable and Lightweight
The Ancheer Power Plus electric bike’s front fork is made with carbon steel and the rest of the bike parts – the handlebars, saddle tube, wheels and pedals – are made with corrosion resistant aluminium alloy. Both of the mentioned materials are sturdy and light, so the bike does not feel heavy to manoeuvre. This e-bike can take on the challenge of going through rugged terrain.
Both the front and rear brakes are disk brakes. This offers a safer and sturdier ride for rough or uneven terrains.
Easy to Charge Lithium Battery
This mountain bike is versatile as it can be used with the battery and even without. When you don’t want the battery to support your riding, just remove it. The bike uses a removable lithium battery that is 36V. The 36V 12 Ah lithium ion battery comes with an easy charge port system so charging is not a problem. You have the option to charge the battery while fitted in the down tube or you can remove it to charge anywhere you like. When fully charged, this bike can take you up to a distance of 15 to 30 miles (with pedal assist).
The fork is made of carbon steel and the handle bar is made from aluminum alloy. This makes the bike light weight yet very sturdy. These metals can take heavy weights as well as rough terrain, thus making this an apt mountain bike.
Pedal Assist Varies Bike Functionality
The Pedal Assist feature allows the biker to choose whether to ride with or without working the pedals. You can turn off Pedal Assist completely so you can enjoy the ride by just twisting the throttle. You can set Pedal Assist low, mid or high varying biking speed accordingly while pedalling.
If you’re looking to buy an electric bike, the Ancheer Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike is a good option. The e-bike is affordable and the quality is good at that price point. If you don’t need a very fast electric bike and you have manageable travel needs, this e-bike can serve your purpose.