Top 7 Best Folding Bikes Under £500 (June 2020)
Folding bikes under £500 are extremely well suited for people living in urban environments as they can be easily transported and stored. If your commute involves a bus or a train, or you have to haul your bike into the office, you might want to consider a folding bike. Commuters who opt to ride their bike into work in the city may not have the option of locking up their vehicle on the street.
Many people who ride folding bikes will spring for a carrying case; as well so that the bike can easily be stowed and tucked away while they are at work; making it a much more convenient and secure transportation option. A folding bike has the security benefit that it’s easy to take it inside, and keep under your desk.
The Best Folding Bike Designs
City commuters love the convenience of space-saving folding bikes, but a smooth and easy-to-use folding mechanism can be an investment. Designers have gotten pretty creative with the folding mechanisms they use on folding bikes over the last several years; and you’ll find a wide variety of them while shopping for the right bike.
Mid fold bikes feature a hinge in the center that allows the rider to fold it in half for storage; while triangle fold bikes will feature an additional hinge somewhere on the back that allows the seat and rear wheel to be folded inward. In addition to these two types, there are also breakaway bikes; which involve disassembling various elements of the bike to make it even more compact. Folding bikes are in craze lately because they take up a little space of your garage and can be easily carried around in your car or truck.
Folding Bike Materials & Components
Made with high-quality materials, steel frame folding bikes under £500 can give you a reliable stopping power with disc brakes front and rear. They can let you have perfect control when you ride and offer an easy to fold folding frame. The lightest folding bikes can be carried easily. Many have smaller wheel size to allow the bikes to collapse really tightly. Some have a collapsible seat post and removable front wheel.
Folding bikes range from single speed to the most common 7 speed models and more. They are usually great replacements for road bike journeys where public transport is needed. Bikes that fold away are easy to store away at home, on the train and at the office.
We’ve found all the best folding bikes under £500 and listed them below. We hope you find the right bike for you.
HIKING BK Folding Bike
- ✔ Lightweight Aluminium Frame
- ✔ 6 Speed Shimano Gear System
- ✔ Folded Size: H-20" L-29" W-15"
- ✔ Comes With A Kickstand
This Lovely Lightweight Aluminium Hiking BK Folding Bike is an ideal companion for your life. It is easy to carry about, and everything in one box weighs just about 18 kg. The bike is really easy for anyone to fold up; and it does not take you more than 1 minute to do it after the first time. This Little Lovely Bike Has Sturdy Thick & Long Seat Post, and this makes it suitable for short as well as tall riders. The Frame Material is made of High Carbon steel and the brake type features a front and rear mechanical disc brakes.
The Hiking BK folding bike has a Net Weight of 13kg and a load capacity of 100kg. The body length is 1.2m and Time Period is 15 seconds. Driver’s Height is around 120cm-180cm and the foot type is normal pedal. The bike has a 16 Inch (Short Ride) Rim Size.
The overall size of the bike is 105x125cm (41x49inch). The lightweight aluminium frame folds in seconds and is easy to carry so you’ll never have need to leave it outside. There is a 6 Speed Shimano Gear System, a folded size of H- 20 “, l-29”, w-15” and a weight of 18kg (Lightweight).
Also there is an all light weight aluminium alloy-frame, Handlebar, Stem, Seat post, Kickstand, Head set, Front & rear hub, Crank set, V-style brakes, Front and rear fenders and more.
HIKING BK Folding Bike Pro:
- The best easy commuting bike on roads
- Easy to stow the handlebars away
- Ultra-light material design
Ape Rider 20" Folding Bike
- ✔ 7 Speed Shimano Gearing System
- ✔ Mulit Terrain Cycling Tyres
- ✔ Chrome Kickstand
- ✔ Lots Of Great Colours To Choose From
Never worry that your bike will be stolen again! Just fold it up and bring it indoors with you, the Schwinn Loop folds into a neat little package for simple storage and transport.
When you’re ready to ride just fold it out, load your stuff and go. When you get to work or home, fold it up and bring it in with you. You can even bring it on a train or bus for the ultimate in all weather bike commuting convenience!
- Folding bike 20 inch, Shimano 7 speed gears.Multi-terrain cycling tires and V-style brakes
- Alloy adjustable seat, you can adjust the height of kickstand as you need. Speed cycle for adults and teenagers with folding pedals
- Adult bicycle that folds up small for easy storage. Riders between 150-180 cm tall, can ride comfortably.
- Classic folding bike design extended steel frame and wheels with forward peddling design ! All cycles are 90%, it will require more assembly on pedals, stem bars, and front wheel. Adjusting front, rear brakes, and gears, as well as a general check over of all fixings on pre assembled parts. We strongly suggest that customers take the bike to a local bike shop for assistance, and is likely to incur extra cost to the purchaser.
Some of the previous customer’s statements are very positive however there are a few negative ones. We’ve covered the key ones below.
“Bike is well made and with all the standard features such as V-brakes, gears so its easy to service and maintain.”
“There is quick release on the seat post and both wheels which makes it easy to deconstruct.”
“I just love this bike and it looks great.”
“The colour of the bike was great.”
“The bike needs assembling.”
“Perfect for short trips to the city.”
NEOFOLD Folding Electric Bike
- ✔ Designed With Maximum Foldability In Mind
- ✔ Maximum Speed 12 Mph
- ✔ 2 Years Warrenty
- ✔ 240W Motor
The NEOFOLD folding electric bike is really easy to transport and store. It’s patented double loop structured and aluminium alloy frame collapses down to an extremely compact size.
The powerful 240W electric motor is capable of a maximum speed of 12mph which is perfectly fine for those looking to zip around the town or city.
We’re talking ‘super eco friendly’ as you’re 100% electric and the lithium battery has an ‘over change protection’ certification. You can cover up to 12 miles on a single charge and the whole bike, battery included, comes with a 2 year warrenty.
What’s not to like!?!
Take it everywhere with you, check it out now!
FIIDO D3 Folding Electric Bike
- ✔ Lightweight Aluminium Frame
- ✔ 250W Electric Motor
- ✔ Mechanical Disc Brakes
- ✔ 3 Riding Modes, Full Electric, Assisted And Manual
The handle bar is made from aluminium alloy. This makes the bike light weight yet remain very sturdy.
- Net Weight: 36.3lb
- Tyres: 14inch
- Max Load: 240lb
- Adjustable Saddle Tube :70-105cm
- Adjustable Handlebar: 95-110cm
Intelligent Cycling Model
Switch easily between the 3 cycling modes. Full electric, assisted electric and fully manual. When turn the throttle on, it’s automatically in pure electric mode, as well as when turn the throttle off and step the pedals, it’s in assisted mode. The assisted riding speed may be affected by the rider’s weight, environment and road conditions.
Brake & Gear Shift System
The FIIDO D3 folding electric bike has a 12Tooth Gearing system, a 3-speed assistant powered shift, 52-tooth chain set and the perfect brakes fully protect your safety. The horn and the bright LED headlamp are equipped for night riding.
The folding design can bring you a lot of convenience. The one-piece forged quick folding mechanism can be easily collapsed and folded by unlocking the automatic locking insurance mechanism, which is great for daytime storage at the bottom of the office or under the stairs. The whole bike, when folded can even be placed in the boot of a car.
We really like this bike It’s the 3rd Fiido we’ve reviewed and honestly we love them all. Check it out.
BIWBIK Traveller Folding Electric Bike
- ✔ 36V/10Ah Internal Lithium Battery
- ✔ 250W / 36V Brushless Motor
- ✔ 25 Mile Range On Full Electric Mode
- ✔ Front And Rear Mechanical Disc Brakes
Lighter, more resistant and more functional than other bicycles of its kind. The best specifications at an unbeatable price.
Ride in style and safety every day, enjoying the comfort of power-assisted pedalling and all the benefits of a bicycle for all of your city rides.
Take advantage of bike lanes and forget parking and public transportation costs as you move through the city quickly, naturally, and effortlessly.
Store it easily in the smallest of spaces, thanks to its ergonomic and optimised folding.
- Electronic assisted folding bike – 36V /10Ah battery inside the frame, easy to charge.
- Certificate of conformity to EN15194 standards – EC-approved PAS (pedal assisted) system with 3 levels of assistance.
- 250W / 36V brushless motor – Battery life 40-70 km – aluminium frame.
- Shimano 6-speed derailleur with front and rear disc brakes.
- Weight 18kg; Wheel diameter:20 x 1.95 inches – Double wall rim – Front cushioning:
Bikesport Folding Bike
- ✔ 20" Sturdy Steel Frame That Opens And Closes In Seconds
- ✔ Shimano Transmission Provides Easy Handling While Driving
- ✔ Aluminium Wheels
- ✔ Carry It In Your Suitcase As Hand Luggage
The Bikesport Folding Bike made it to the podium simply due to it’s amazing value for money. Compared to the other two options above you’ll be amazed at the value for money you’re getting with this bike. Yes, a lot of that saving comes from the fact it isn’t an electric folding bike however even compared to other pedal powered folding bikes, spec for spec it can compete with most at a fraction of the cost. Slightly larger wheels than average means it doesn’t take as much out of the rider to keep the wheels turning, however this does come at a compromise on it’s folded down size. Still a great option if you’re on a lower budget.
The brand Bikesport manufactures a wide variety of different bicycles including City, Mountain, Trekking, and Kid bikes. The models are classified as entry-level class bikes. In Bikesport collection the clients could find quality bikes at a good price. They have great value with no compromise for a uniquely pleasant experience.
The Bikesport folding bike model has 6 gears that can be easily used in busy city life. The brakes on the Bikesport folding bike are Type V-Brake, which are reliable and easy to maintain. The bike also has aluminium wheels for more safety when driving.
The Bikesport folding bikes are made in one of the largest and modernised factories in Europe. The modern production base enables the use of new technologies. The Bikesport folding bikes are designed by a team of engineers who have refined each built-in component. The designers have developed a unique design in line with fashion trends and colour combinations.
Highly qualified specialists carry out the assembly of the bicycles, which guarantees excellent quality. The painting takes place in a modern equipped paint shop following the highest of quality standards, ensuring longevity of the coatings in all weather conditions.
Bikesport Folding Bike Pros:
- The bike is suitable for heights of 160-185 cm with seat adjustment.
- The Bikesport folding bike is a great travel companion in the city. It is compact and easy to carry in the subway, bus or elevator.
- The folding bike is very practical for any kind of urban environment and with possibility of adaptation according to your desire.
- It is a reliable bike for fast urban mobility.
- It can be carried in a suitcase.
- The Bikesport folding bike makes it quick and easy to build and offers excellent handling while riding.
Viking Gravity Folding Bike
- ✔ Lightweight Alloy Folding Frame With Internal Battery
- ✔ 20" Alloy Double Wall 30 Hole Rims With Black Spokes
- ✔ 4 Hour Full Charge Time
- ✔ 22 Miles / 35 Kilometre Range
The Viking Gravity Folding Bike is a very strong, sturdy bike. This is part of its undoing in our opinion as it is heavier than most of the other folding bikes we’ve reviewed and doesn’t fold down as well. It seems to be a great option for those who will travel long distances and aren’t regularly packing and unpacking it, stowing it on trains and buses or storing it in high or awkward places.
Quality, style and longevity have always been the hallmark of Viking bicycles. Vikings today incorporate these fundamental qualities and try to expand the range to meet the growing demands of changing lifestyles. The range includes: electric bicycles, road cycling, trekking, comfort, tandems, city folder and urban sport. Each model now utilises the technical developments of current manufacturing processes and light tubing.
Electric Viking Gravity 24V Electric Bicycle offers a compatible range of about 22 miles/35 kilometres from its 24 volt and 8.8 mAh battery. Instead of accelerating, the engine will help you as soon as you pedal. With the six-speed Shimano power train, you can still choose a comfortable speed and choose the level of support you need, depending on the terrain.
Assisted electric bicycles are limited to a maximum speed of approximately 25 km/h. However, you do not need any insurance coverage. If you want vision you can drive without the battery like a normal bicycle. The heart of the Vision is a 250-watt brushless front wheel motor. The 24-volt battery is locked away internally to keep it safe yet is easy to install / remove with the key, of which two are provided. Charge time is approximately 4 hours total and the folding mechanism is simple and foolproof (if we can do it….)
Viking Vision Folding Bike Pros:
- When brand new, it comes sealed in box.
- The bicycle is almost built. It may be necessary to inflate the tires and adjust the gears / brakes before use
- Inner tubes are supplied with puncture-resistant sealant.
- The handlebars and seats are adjustable.