Top 4 Best Road Bike Shoes Over £100 (June 2020)
Road-shoe soles are typically stiff (for maximising pedalling efficiency) and smooth (no tread equals lighter weight). Many—mostly higher-end models—utilise a triangular, three-bolt cleat-mounting pattern that’s compatible with the most common road-pedal systems—Look, imitation Look, and Shimano. Some road shoes offer a four-bolt sole compatible with ‘Speedplay’ pedals. Low- to midrange road shoes often have a two-bolt pattern, in addition to a three-bolt pattern, to also accommodate mountain bike-style cleats. This allows the rider to use dual-sided pedals (which are easier to step into) as well as pedals that have a clip less mechanism on one side and a platform on the other (for shorter rides in regular shoes).
Fizik Tempo Overcurve R5
- ✔ Designed for all types or paved roads
- ✔ Timeless look and versatile performance
- ✔ Foot-wrapping Velcro closure design
- ✔ Synthetic
- Over curve: asymmetrical construction that ergonomically conforms to the foot’s anatomy
- Microtel upper: supple yet strong and durable for a comfortable and consistent fit
- R5 nylon composite outsole: delivers balance between Comfort And pedaling efficiency
- Tempo: versatility road series designed for the most enjoyable riding experience
- Road: designed and engineered to perform on paved roads, from the smoothest tarmac to the most demanding pave
- Outsole – R5 carbon reinforced nylon
- BOA IP1-B dial
- Outer Material: Microtex / Reflective Heel Cap
- Closure: hook_&_loop
- Approximate weight – 253g
Tempo Overcurve R5 is quick-fit road cycling shoe to suit every rider and every ride.This shoe has been designed to deliver the essential timeless look and versatile performance to make every outing an enjoyable ride. The classic considerations of a road shoe have been redefined with a distinct fi’zi:k identity and a smart form-fitting construction.Overcurve is a shoe construction featuring a staggered collar that wraps around the ankle, tracing the natural misalignment of the ankle’s two bony protrusions: the lateral and medial malleoli. The result is an asymmetrical shape, with the throat of the shoe curving over the foot from its outside to its inner side. The closure is fast and secure, powered by a micro-adjustable BOA IP1 dial and a Velcro strap for a fine tune fit of the forefoot area.The R5 Nylon composite outsole is supple and comfortable even in the long haul but without compromising pedalling efficiency. Fit: Normal Season: Year-round items.
This product is loved by existing customers.
“Very comfortable road shoes with easy to use fastening system.”
“Clean look with true to life colours.”
“The carbon reinforced sole is very stiff and give a smooth transfer of power into the pedals.”
“The shoes are very easy to put on, adjust and take off.”
“I love the fastening system.”
Tommaso Strada Boa
- ✔ Great value for money
- ✔ Premium microfibre body for ultimate comfort
- ✔ 2 years manufacturer's warranty
- ✔ Cleat area compatible with SPD-SL, SPD, Look, and Speedplay
- High performance cycling shoe with ‘Boa like’ closure system
- Upper: Premium microfiber with Strong nylon mesh inserts for ventilation.
- Features a 100% carbon plate on the cleat area inset in a nylon sole.
- Boa closure system
- Compatible with SPD-SL cleats and other 3-bolt systems
An upgrade to our standard Strada, the Boa version comes with an easier more secure closure system. This shoe will get you racing and looking slick.
The Strada Elite shoe is optimized for road biking, commuting, or touring. We reinforced the sole with a game changing 100% carbon fiber plate, to increase power transfer with ever pedal stroke. Power is nothing without agility and comfort, so we surrounded the carbon fiber plate with a nylon composite sole, which increases flexibility and agility. The speed lacing system works perfectly with the upper to fit the rider’s foot like a glove, with a separate lower Velcro strap for the toe box to assure optimal security and feel. Step up to this elite system and make the most out of your time in the saddle.
This unique combination of a rigid carbon plate allows the rider to achieve a powerful and efficient pedal stroke, while the surrounding nylon composite allows for greater flexibility and agile comfort while riding.
What existing customers have to say
“Would be world class ff the lacing system functioned as smoothly as a true BOA.”
“Most comfortable bike shoe I ever had.”
“I was actually very surprised that Tommaso Strada shoe fit me perfectly.”
“The shoe fits great and the ratchet laycing is easy to slip the shoe on and off.”
“I am thoroughly impressed with this product.”
Giro Solara II
- ✔ Lots of colours available
- ✔ A nice shoe for all levels, beginners to experts
- ✔ A very competitive price
- ✔ Designed specifically for women
- Moulded Eva footbed with medium arch support
- Dupont Zytel nylon with standard 3-bolt mount
- strong and secure n-1 ratcheting buckle closure and n-2 strap (replaceable)
- High-quality, breathable microfibre
- 270 grams
The Solara II is built with the same comfortable ft as our premium shoes, thanks to a supple upper and a micro-ratcheting, low-profile buckle that offers precise ft adjustment. The upper is now welded and bonded, resulting in fewer seams for reduced hot spots and improved comfort. A supportive EVA footbed with Aegis anti-microbial treatment is matched with our stiff Dupont Zytel nylon outsole to create an efficient, powerful platform for transferring energy to the pedals. It’s a great choice for enthusiasts or recreational riders who are on the road to becoming dedicated cyclists.
Giro Solara II Outer Material Made From High-Quality, breathable microfibre, the different parts are fully taped and glued, such as the heel and toe cap are sewn N 1 integrated ratchet buckle for perfect fit and optimal power transfer and a dual velcro closure The offset D ring loop on the upper Velcro closure it improves pressure distribution and eliminates pressure areas, the outer sole made from DuPont Zytel? Nylon is 25% stronger than traditional nylon soles in the same weight Moulded EVA Footbed with medium arch support and anti-bacterial AEGIS fabric.
Muddyfox Mens TRI100 Shoes
- ✔ Fantastic Value For Money
- ✔ Single Hook And Loop Tape Strap
- ✔ Synthetic Outer Material
- ✖ Wouldn't Recommend Without Cleats
- Mens cycling shoes
- Single hook and loop tape strap
- Sole: Synthetic
- Closure: Hook & Loop
- Shoe Width: Medium
- Pull tab
- Cushioned insole
- Shaped and padded ankle
The Muddyfox TRI100 Mens Cycling Shoes have a single hook and loop tape strap for a safe fit and a pull tab to the back for much easier on and off movement, whilst the full length cushioned insole supplies far greater comfort and support. These Cycling Shoes feature breathable panels at the bridge of the foot and the cushioned ankle collar for additional comfort, finished off with MuddyFox branding for an excellent design appearance.
Reviews seem to be mixed for these shoes but many refer to the negatives being acceptable due to the shoes competitive pricing.
Heres what some previous customers have to say.
“These are fantastic shoes for the price.”
“They are great as they have plenty of ventilation.”
“Velcro strap does up towards inside which could catch on chain.”
“I use the shoes to commute to work and they are great value and long lasting.”
“They fit nicely.”
If your budget it tight or you’re not sure you want to commit huge amounts to a new hobby, then these road bike shoes might be the perfect starter pair for you.